Saturday, December 30, 2017

Rabbits Eat Berries and Crackers

After a few days of temperatures down to -30C with the windchill, we were so excited to finally get outside and enjoy the crisp air and the bright sun.  Little One is still catching up on sleep from all the excitement over the holidays and I had to wake him up when we arrived at the Harvey Moore trail just outside of Montague.  Little One still loves to be carried on the trails, especially when there is snow.  With our Toddler Tula, carrying him is a breeze and enjoyable.


The snow had been gently falling over the past 24 hours so there was a light dusting of sparkling snow on the ground and trees.  Little One and I saw blues, pinks and golds shimmering in the snow and it was fun to see the changing colours as we walked through the forest.  After a kilometre, Little One was happier to kick the snow off all the trees.


Usually we try to find squirrels and birds, but with the fresh snow, the animal tracks were very exciting for Little One.  We followed rabbit tracks along the trail, saw puppy tracks that went to drink water, and a squirrel that ate some red berries. I asked Little One what he thought rabbits ate and he replied "berries and crackers."  I guess rabbits have the same diet as Little One!


Little One also thought he saw frog tracks.  I thought this snow covered branch looked a bit like frog legs.  We talked about how frogs actually don't play in the snow as it's too cold for them.  


There's lots to see at Harvey Moore and here, on the bridge, we saw a small fish swimming.  Little One loves looking in the water to see what else he can see.  



Although we didn't see any beavers on the Beaver Lodge trail, we did see plenty of geese on the Goose trail.  I was surprised they haven't flown south.   It was a beautiful day to get out and enjoy the trails together with my Little One.

No comments:

Post a Comment